Thursday, November 24, 2011

Why Do I Love Him?




















A few weeks ago, I was contemplating all the things God has done and is doing in my life and all the things He has given me. As my heart brimmed with love for God,  I was interrupted by this startling thought:  What if it all were taken away, and all I had left in the world was myself and my God?  Would I still love Him?  Would I still be praising Him as I am now?  Will I say with Job, "The LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; Blessed be the name of the LORD"?  I had to think about that awhile.  That is a question we all need to ask ourselves, because there is coming a time when everything we have in this world will be taken from us, and the path we once walked by sight, we will have to walk by faith.*

I thought about Job and how he stood firm, not  having the scriptures to guide and affirm him.  Why did he stay faithful? How?  I wasn't sure that I could do that if I were Job.

But then it came to me...there is a sharp contrast between the life of the sinner and the life of the obedient.  There is simply pure happiness in walking in obedience to God's laws out of a heart of love. Job knew this way of happiness.  He had experienced it.  He could see that the God that so many scoffed and rejected was a God of love and wisdom that cared about him.  He had a close relationship with Him. For Job, there could be no turning back, no giving up on the One whom he had come to know...and love.  He loved God, not just what He gave him.

We must cultivate that vital connection with Jesus now.  We need to spend time with Him in prayer, reading His Word, contemplating on His life and His character.  As we do, we will begin to know Him...faintly, yes, as in a dim mirror.  But it will be a foretaste of the life to come, when we will come face to face with our Maker.**  Our Maker that died for us....

That's a reason Job didn't have.

We will begin to love Him for who He is, and not just for what He gives us.   That, my friends, is the secret for a life that will withstand the fieriest trials and, like Job, "come forth as gold."



* The Great Controversy p. 408
**The Great Controversy pp. 676-677

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for these beautiful thoughts Hope..they do indeed give HOPE. Job could look forward to the sacrifice that was promised.."I know that my redeemer liveth". But you are right..we have far less excuse..in looking back.... not to be encouraged by God's love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... beautiful. "face to face with our Maker... that died for us.." The love that gives us a reason for living...

    ReplyDelete