Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Investing in Eternity

Flipping randomly  through my Bible the other day,  I came across Isaiah 55.  (I love that chapter.)  The focus of the first couple of verses is invitation.  But somehow verse two struck me in an unusual way this time...

"Wherefore do ye spend money for that which is not bread?  and your labor for that which satisfieth not?  hearken diligently unto me, and eat ye that which is good, and let your soul delight itself in fatness."

It really made me think.
  
There are only so many hours in the day, only so many days in a life, and only so much time left for this world.
I don't know when I may be laughing one moment, and dead the next.
I don't know when I will have to stand before the Lord to give account for what He has left in my care.

Every day, God is teaching me what is really important in life.  And I am realizing more and more that time, energy, money, life, are precious gifts.  God gives us freedom of choice to decide what we will do with those gifts.

I can choose to expend my time, energy and money on self-serving,  but in the end I will have nothing to show for my effort but a charge of robbery.

And the things we thought were so important here, will appear as they really are... vanity.

There are only two things that we will carry out of this world... People, and our characters.

That's all that really matters.

And am I glad... :)



Let's invest in both.  Let's invest in eternity.



1 comment:

  1. What a blessing this post and your last post have been to me and our family at this time in our lives. It is hard sometimes to let go and trust that God knows best without letting self get in the way. But it is always best to let Him direct our lives rather than trying to "take the wheel" and you are right about looking back and seeing how God has led us in the past. Only when we are in heaven will we understand more fully how tenderly He has guided us here on earth.
    Thank you for sharing. God Bless! ~Dustin

    ReplyDelete